Yet another crazy week for me at work and cannot wait for the weekend to come by. ?For dinner I made this easy and nutritious daal yesterday inspired by this previously posted recipe here. It has a combination of lentils, greens, vegetables along with the goodness of ginger, garlic. I made this in a thicker consistency so that it would go well with both Rice and Rotis/Chapathis. Best of all this is a one pot dish and cleaning is a breeze.
This daal has similar ingredients to that of a Sambhar, but I used Chana Masala instead of the Sambhar powder. In this recipe, eggplant (brinjal) can be substituted with any other vegetable(s) of choice and spinach with any other greens.
- ? – 3/4 cup masoor daal/ toor daal
- ? cup chopped onions
- 1 medium tomato
- Garlic 2 pods
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 3 cups packed spinach
- 2 cups chopped brinjal/eggplant
- Mustard seeds
- Chana Mssala/Garam masala/Rajma Masala
- Cumin seeds
- Grate the ginger and garlic and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the Toor daal/Masoor daal along with cumin seeds, turmeric using sufficient water until soft and mushy.
- Chop the tomatoes, spinach and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom pan, add the oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, next add the ginger and garlic and sauté until the garlic turns light brown.
- Now add the onions, green chillies,spinach and stir until they are soft and transparent. Note: There is no need to cook the spinach beforehand. It wilts down very fast.
- Add the chopped brinjal/eggplant and mix until it is cooked. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and mixuntil the raw smell of tomato is gone.
- Add chana masala powder/garam masala, salt and mix well. Add more oil at this time if dry.
- Mash the cooked daal, so that there are no lumps and add to this.
- Simmer for a while until the gravy blends with the daal. Check for seasonings.