Semiya is Indian vermicelli and is usually available in the Indian grocery stores. Different things likes upma, kheer, pulao, dosa can be made using these rice noodles. This is a favorite and in our house this upma has transformed from a breakfast/tiffin/evening snack dish to a main course lunch/dinner dish owing to lack of time.
The good thing is that this is a one dish meal and that means less work with cleaning and dish washing. This is also a crowd pleaser and can be put together in no time (if you have the semiya/shevai on hand). This is also a good one to make when you are looking for quick ideas when unexpected guests arrive.
I do not add vegetables to this (except onions) however you can add the vegetables to make it nutritious. This is a kid’s favorite dish as it looks more like noodles. You can reduce the amount of green chillies and sprinkle little bit of sugar before offering it to them.
- There are two varieties of Vermicelli available the rice vermicelli and the roasted vermicelli.
- Using the roasted vermicelli makes the upma process easier as it prevents the extra step of roasting. This is also non-sticky and avoids forming clumps.
- But taste wise I prefer the rice vermicelli any day.
- 2 cups? vermicelli/ rice semiya/ shavige
- 1 largeonion (finely chopped)
- 2-3 green chillies ( finely chopped )
- 8-10?curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad daal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Juice of a lemon
- handful of chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- ? cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- First boil about 6 cups of water and then add the vermicelli into it. Add some salt and 1 tsp of oil. Boil for 5 minutes or as per package suggestion until it is cooked.
- Transfer this to a colander and drain the hot water. Add about a tsp of oil and toss it gently so that the oil sticks all around. This prevents the vermicelli from sticking to each other.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, cumin seeds, urad dal and mix until the urad daal turns light brown in color.
- Add the chopped onion and green chillies.? After the onion is cooked add salt and stir.
- Add the cooked vermicelli to this, stir continuously breaking any lumps (on medium heat) and the cooked onions incorporates into the vermicelli.
After 5 minutes stir again and now partially cover the pan. Lastly garnish with lemon juice, chopped cilantro. Keep the lid covered for another 5-10 minutes. Stir again and serve hot.