I was looking for an easy recipe of podi that did not use dry coconut in the podi. While searching I found this recipe that was close to what I was looking for; readily available ingredients, easy to cook, grind and hassle free storage. ?As an added bonus this recipe does not use any oil while roasting and so stays for a longer time.
As the name suggests it can be used as accompaniment with idlis, dosas or even plain rice along with good quantity of oil or ghee.
Adapted from: Vah chef
- ? cup raw rice ( I used sona masoori)
- 8-10 red chillies(whole)
- ? cup chana dal
- ? cup urad dal
- 10-15 curry leaves
- ? cup pepper corns
- ? tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
- A pinch of hing/asafetida
- Heat a pan/kadai on medium. Keep all the ingredients ready.
- First dry roast red chillies till they turn light brown. Add raw rice and chana dal to this and keep stirring.
- Next add whole pepper, urad dal, methi seeds and keep stirring and cooking until it gets light brown.
- Add curry leaves, hing and mix well. Switch off the flame but continue to stir.
- Allow this to cool. Put it into the grinder, along with salt and make it into a coarse powder.
- Store in air tight container and use as necessary.